by Daniel Granderson
April 17, 2018
Note: This article by PetfoodIndustry.com can be viewed in its original form here.
As of April 16, pet food companies and ingredient suppliers have announced at least fourteen mergers and acquisitions. Several involved human food companies expanding their position in the pet food industry. Others have involved pet food brands moving into new regions or advanced technologies.
1. Mars Petcare acquires canine DNA diagnostics company
April 15, 2018
Mars Petcare acquired OptiGen, LLC, a DNA diagnostics company specializing in canine inherited eye disorders.
2. United Petfood acquires Dutch pet treat producer
April 15, 2018
United Petfood, a Belgium-based producer of pet food, has acquired the Dutch pet treat company Animal Lovers.
3. C.J. Foods acquires Lortscher Animal Nutrition
April 11, 2018
Lortscher is based in Bern, Kansas, USA with additional locations in Seneca, Kansas and Brownwood, Texas.
4. Canadian Transcontinental Inc. acquires Coveris Americas
April 8, 2018
Transcontinental Inc, a Canada-based printer and supplier of flexible packaging in North America, has agreed to acquire Coveris Americas, a converter of flexible packaging and other value-added products in North America.
5. J.M. Smucker will acquire Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
April 4, 2018
The J. M. Smucker Company signed a definitive agreement to acquire Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, LLC for approximately US$1.7 billion, after an estimated tax benefit of US$200 million.
6. Canadian packaging supplier acquires US supplier
March 12, 2018
Transcontinental Inc., a Canadian supplier of flexible packaging, has acquired Multifilm Packaging Corporation, a flexible packaging supplier located in Elgin, near Chicago, Illinois, employing over 70 people.
7. General Mills buys Blue Buffalo for US$8 billion
February 23, 2018
General Mills, Inc. and Blue Buffalo Pet Products, Inc. entered into a definitive agreement under which General Mills will acquire Blue Buffalo for approximately US$8 billion, or US$40 per share in cash.
8. GPP and ING acquired dog and cat treat supplier Schlotus
February 16, 2018
Scholtus Group Holding B.V., a supplier of dog and cat treats in Europe, was acquired by Global Pet Products Holding (GPP), a investment firm active in the pet industry and ING Corporate lnvestments B.V., a 100 percent subsidiary of ING Bank N.V., reported GlobalPETS.
9. Danish Agro acquires Latvian pet food and agribusiness
January 25, 2018
Danish Agro’s subisdiary Baltic Agro Latvia has concluded a deal to acquire 60 percent of the shares in agribusiness company Tukuma Straume, which also produces pet food.
10. Mars acquires pet genetic testing company Genoscoper
January 22, 2018
On January 11, Mars Petcare announced their acquisition of Genoscoper Laboratories.
11. Kemin acquires Canadian animal feed distributor
January 10, 2018
Kemin Industries, a global ingredient supplier, has announced the creation of a Canadian division and will hold a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony on January 18, 2018, at its new location in Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada.
12. Cargill acquires Pro-Pet private label pet food maker
January 2, 2018
Cargill has reached an agreement to acquire Pro-Pet, an Ohio-based manufacturer of private label and co-manufactured pet foods, including premium dog food brand Black Gold.
13. Thompson Street Capital Partners portfolio company, Tropichem Research Labs, has acquired Quebec-based TetraGenx, an independent animal health contract development and manufacturing organization.
14. Central Garden & Pet Company is acquiring all the business assets of General Pet Supply, a US supplier of pet food and supplies.
Provide the following details to subscribe.