Global Pharmaceutical Packaging

This report forecasts to 2023 global demand for pharmaceutical packaging by product and major world region in nominal US dollars at the manufacturer level. Product segments include: plastic bottles; other primary containers such as blister packaging, parenteral containers, and prefillable inhalers; closures; secondary containers; labels; and packaging accessories. Major world regions include North America, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and all other regions.

To illustrate historical trends, world, product, and regional demand (including product segments) are provided for 2008, 2013, and 2018. Finally, global shipments are segmented by major world region and provided for 2008, 2013, 2018, and 2023.

How will the COVID-19 coronavirus impact the global economy? The Freedonia Group is tracking recent developments and analyzing their impact in an easy to follow Economic Impact Tracker.

For the purposes of this report, pharmaceutical packaging product demand is defined as the value of finished containers, closures, and accessories sold by merchant companies and produced or assembled internally by pharmaceutical manufacturers and contract packaging firms. In 2018, the estimated value of captive production by drug makers amounted to approximately 30% of global pharmaceutical packaging demand. The remaining 70% consisted of finished containers, closures, and accessories supplied by packaging manufacturers or contract packaging firms.

For any given historical year, US dollar amounts are obtained from values expressed in the applicable local currency. These local currency values are converted to US dollars at the average annual exchange rate for that year. For forecast years, the US dollar amounts assume the same annual exchange rate at that prevailing in 2018.

Other various topics, including profiles of pertinent leading companies, are covered in this report. A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.

Related NAICS Codes:
322211 Corrugated and solid fiber box manufacturing
322212 Folding paperboard box manufacturing
326111 Plastics bag and pouch manufacturing
326112 Plastics packaging film and sheet (including laminated) manufacturing
326160 Plastics bottle manufacturing
327213 Glass container manufacturing

Back to Top