This report forecasts US pet food retail sales in nominal US dollars for 2022-2026. To illustrate historical trends, total retail sales and the various segments are provided in annual series from 2017 to 2021. Total retail sales are segmented by type in terms of dog food and cat food.HIGHLIGHTSMARKET OVERVIEW
Both the dog and cat food segments are subdivided for 2021 into: dry, wet (aka "canned"), frozen/refrigerated, and semi-moist.
This report analyzes the retail market for pet food in the US. The full retail spectrum is quantified, including online sales, mass-market outlets, pet specialty stores (chains and independents), and other channels. This report also examines meal toppers and other pet food add-ins to provide market perspective and track overall trends in pet food.
The dog and cat food market includes certain edibles that obscure the boundaries between food, toys, and healthcare products. All edible dog/cat treats and non-food pet supplies – including chews (natural, rawhide, nylon) and supplements – are covered in other Packaged Facts pet reports, including Pet Treats and Chews in the U.S. and Pet Supplements in the U.S.. In addition, non-dog/cat food is covered in Fish, Small Mammal, Herptile, and Bird Products: U.S. Pet Market Trends and Opportunities.
Though discussed in context of the market as a whole, pet food sold through the veterinary channel and non-medical petcare service providers is excluded from the market sizing estimates, and is instead included in the market sizing for those channels as presented in Packaged Facts' annual U.S. Pet Market Outlook reports.
A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.
Related NAICS Codes:
311111 Dog and Cat Food Mfg
424490 Other Grocery and Related Products Merchant Wholesalers
453910 Pet and Pet Supplies Stores
INDUSTRY STRUCTUREABOUT THIS REPORT
- Market Size
- Market Drivers
- Retail Channel Trends
- Marketing & New Product Trends
- Consumer Trends
LIST OF TABLES & FIGURES
- Industry Codes
- Figure 1 | Key Trends in the US Pet Food Market, 2021 - 2026
- Figure 2 | US Pet Food Retail Sales by Type, 2017 - 2026 (US$ bil)
- Table 1 | US Pet Food Retail Sales by Type, 2017 - 2026 (US$ bil)
- Figure 3 | US Pet Food Retail Sales by Type, 2017 - 2026 (%)
- Table 2 | US Share of Retail Sales of Pet Food by Form & Animal Type, 2021
- Table 3 | Annual US Household Expenditures on Pet Food by Product Form, 2021
- Table 4 | Annual US Household Expenditures on Pet Food by Animal Type, 2021
- Table 5 | Projected Shifts in Retail Channel Shares of US Pet Food Sales, 2021 vs. 2026 (% change)
- Table 6 | Spending Changes from January 2022 to August 2022 (% of pet owners)
- Table 7 | Selected Suppliers to the US Pet Food Market
- Table 8 | NAICS & SIC Codes Related to Pet Food