This report forecasts to 2025 US demand for recycled plastic resins in packaging demand in pounds. Total demand is segmented by resin in terms of: polyethylene terephthalate (PET); high-density polyethylene (HDPE); low-density polyethylene (LDPE), including linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE); and polypropylene (PP) and other plastic resins such as polystyrene (PS). Total demand is also segmented by product as follows: bottles; other rigid plastic packaging such as lids, pails, and trays; and flexible packaging.HIGHLIGHTSMARKET ENVIRONMENT
To illustrate historical trends, total demand is provided in annual series from 2010 to 2020; the various segments are reported at five-year intervals for 2010, 2015, and 2020.
Sources for scrap and waste plastics covered in this report include: food and beverage bottles, rigid plastics and foam (including food containers), carpeting (including rugs) and fiber. and flexible packaging (including retail bags, trash bags, and film from other packaging products).
Excluded from the scope of this report are: waste primarily made of nylon, post-industrial recycled content, and bioplastics and engineering plastics.
Post-consumer recycled goods are those that have left the manufacturing facility and have been used, even if their final destination is another manufacturing facility. This is in contrast to post-industrial recycled materials, which are directly generated during the manufacturing process. For example, plastic trimmed from rigid packaging on the manufacturing line that is then recycled would be classified as post-industrial recycled content, while the stretch film used to secure the palletized goods that is removed at the beverage manufacturer’s facility would be classified as post-consumer waste. Packaging made from post-industrial recycled waste is excluded from this report.
Key macroeconomic indicators are also provided with quantified trends. Other various topics, including profiles of pertinent leading companies, are covered in this report. A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.
Related NAICS Codes:
325211 Plastic Material and Resin Manufacturing
325991 Custom Compounding of Purchased Resins
RESIN SEGMENTATION & FORECASTS
- Historical Trends
- Key Economic Indicators
- Regulatory & Legislative Environment
- Alternatives to Plastic Recycling for Sustainability
PRODUCT SEGMENTATION & FORECASTS
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- Polypropylene (PP) & Other Plastic Resins
- Other Rigid Plastic Packaging
- Flexible Packaging
ABOUT THIS REPORT
- Industry Characteristics
- Recycled Plastic Processors
- Packaging Suppliers
- Consumer Packaged Goods Producers
LIST OF TABLES & FIGURES
- Industry Codes
- Freedonia Methodology
- Figure 1 | Key Trends in US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging, 2020 - 2025
- Figure 2 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging Trends, 2010 - 2020
- Table 1 | Key Indicators for US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging, 2010 - 2025 (2012US$ bil)
- Figure 3 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Resin, 2010 - 2025 (mil lbs)
- Table 2 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Resin, 2010 - 2025 (mil lbs)
- Figure 4 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Resin, 2010 - 2025 (%)
- Figure 5 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Product, 2010 - 2025 (mil lbs)
- Table 3 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Product, 2010 - 2025 (mil lbs)
- Figure 6 | US Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging by Product, 2010 - 2025 (%)
- Table 4 | NAICS & SIC Codes Related to Recycled Plastic Demand in Packaging