A major supplier of industrial components was looking for potential opportunities to supply new products to discrete manufacturing processes. The client engaged Freedonia Custom Research to first identify components used in discrete manufacturing facilities in North America and Europe and produce a scorecard for each item, and then further to explore the market opportunities for the most attractive products.
- Conducted 15 interviews with component manufacturers and system integrators to uncover over 50 different products and evaluate their attractiveness based on the client’s criteria
- Advised client with down-selection of the full product list to identify 10 core products to investigate further
- Completed an additional 25 in-depth interviews with component manufacturers to fully understand the market for each core product
- Analyzed key aspects of each core product, including the market size and growth drivers in North America and Europe, replacement cycles, product substitutions, purchasing characteristics, and paths to market
- Identified and profiled leading suppliers of each product, including total revenue and product market share
- Provided recommendations for further research to guide the selection of acquisition targets
The findings of Freedonia Custom Research helped the client identify several new products that could enhance its current offerings and develop a strategy for assessing potential acquisitions.