Cleveland OH – October 9, 2023 – The Freedonia Group and Packaged Facts, leading providers of market research and analysis, today announced the completion of the third quarter edition of their 2023 National Online Consumer Survey. Each edition of this survey provides clients with actionable data-driven insights into consumer behavior and attitudes which will appear in a variety of Freedonia Industry Studies, Freedonia Focus Reports, and Packaged Facts Reports. Such data is custom designed to enable top analysis into market trends and directions, leading clients to the best decision making in product development, marketing plans, and other efforts.
The Freedonia Group and Packaged Facts National Online Consumer Survey is conducted quarterly, with 2023 editions so far being conducted in February (first quarter), May (second quarter), and September-October (third quarter). The latest edition of the Freedonia Group and Packaged Facts National Online Consumer Survey was conducted with a panel of 1,500 US adults (aged 18 and older) balanced to the national population on primary demographic measures such as age group, gender, geographic region, marital status, race/ethnicity, presence or absence of children in the household, and household income.
Topics covered in this edition of the survey include:
- Big Picture Issues: pandemic concerns and likelihood of getting booster shots, concerns about pricing, feelings about sustainable living, and mental and emotional wellbeing
- Freedonia Focus Reports: furniture buying, mattress shopping, and work-from-home habits
- Freedonia Industry Studies: indoor and outdoor gardening habits, usage of professional lawn and garden care service providers, attitudes about lawn care and gardening, lawn and garden supply shopping habits and influences, pet food packaging needs, flooring shopping, reasons for buying flooring and selecting particular flooring
- Packaged Facts: cooking confidence, kitchen appliance usage, shopping habits, dietary trends & preferences, food influences, snacking habits, food priorities, pet ownership, pet food buying habits and preferences, pet veterinary service needs and usage
Why Consumer Survey Data is Helpful to Business Leaders
According to Jennifer Mapes-Christ, an author of the survey and manager of Freedonia’s consumer & light commercial research and Packaged Facts’ food & beverage research, “Consumer survey data is essential for business leaders who want to understand their customers and make the best decisions possible. By understanding consumer preferences, attitudes, and behaviors, businesses can develop products and services that meet their customers' needs, create effective marketing campaigns, and make informed strategic decisions.”
Highlight Data Points
Some highlight data points from the third quarter edition of the survey include:
- Consumers who reduced their spending on extras in 2023, expect to continue to do so in 2024, with Gen X consumers more likely to say they will do so.
- More consumers report certainty about the seasonal flu shot (57% already got it or definitely plan to get it before the end of 2023) than the newest COVID booster shot (46% already got it or definitely plan to get it before the end of 2023).
- The top two reasons why consumers say they garden are “to make my home look nice” (61%) and “because it is soothing/good for my mental wellbeing” (50%).
- The top two reasons that entice consumers to try new foods are “recommendations from family & friends” (80%) and “it’s on sale/low price” (79%). Outside influences from social media influencers, food bloggers, and celebrity or chef endorsements are most important among the youngest consumers.
- Dog owners were more likely to report having taken their pet to a veterinary visit or buy pet supplements or vitamins in the last 12 months compared to cat owners.
The Freedonia Group and Packaged Facts National Online Consumer Survey is an essential tool for businesses that want to understand their customers and make the best decisions possible. Visit http://www.freedoniagroup.com
or contact customer service to learn more about reports that include data from our proprietary surveys and the variety of ways to access that data, including custom cross-tabs of survey questions.