This report forecasts to 2022 US pet insurance market revenues in nominal US dollars. To illustrate historical trends, total revenues are provided in annual series from 2007 to 2017.HIGHLIGHTSMARKET OVERVIEW
This report examines the market for pet health insurance in the US. Overall numbers (gross written premiums and policies in force) in this report reflect insurance plans for cats and dogs. While there is insurance for exotic pets, it is rarely purchased compared to dog and cat insurance in the US and is therefore excluded from the scope of this report.
Insurance for horses, which are much more likely than smaller companion animals to be regarded as important investments, is based on a completely different set of actuary information and is not part of the pet health insurance market as defined by leading industry participants in the US. Equine insurance is therefore excluded from this market analysis.
Although pet insurance is of course designed to provide medical coverage for companion animals, it is not, technically speaking, a health product. Rather, because pets are legally considered to be the property of their owners, pet insurance falls under the Property and Casualty insurance classification and functions as indemnity insurance (similar to car or homeowners insurance) designed to restore financial loss stemming from pet healthcare events, providing reimbursement to the pet owner or veterinarian once a claim is filed.
Pet insurance and pet health insurance are used interchangeably throughout this report.
Other various topics, including profiles of pertinent leading suppliers, are covered in this report. A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.
Related NAICS Codes:
524113 Direct Life Insurance Carriers
524114 Direct Health and Medical Insurance Carriers
524126 Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Carriers
524127 Direct Title Insurance Carriers
524128 Other Direct Insurance (except Life, Health, and Medical) Carriers
524130 Reinsurance Carriers
524210 Insurance Agencies and Brokerages
524291 Claims Adjusting
524292 Third Party Administration of Insurance and Pension Funds
524298 All Other Insurance Related Activities
541940 Veterinary Services
812910 Pet Care (except Veterinary) Services
- Market Trends
- Key Economic Indicators
- Pet Ownership Trends
- Growth Opportunities
ABOUT THIS REPORT
- Competitive Overview
- Market Share
LIST OF TABLES & FIGURES
- Industry Codes
- Figure 1 | Key Trends in the US Pet Insurance Market, 2017 - 2022
- Figure 2 | US Pet Insurance Market Revenues, 2007 - 2022 (US$ mil)
- Table 1 | US Pet Insurance Market Revenues, 2007 - 2022 (US$ mil)
- Table 2 | Pet Owner Change in Financial Situation Compared with 12 Months Ago, 2012 - 2017 (%)
- Table 3 | US Veterinary Services Market, 2013 - 2017 (US$ bil)
- Table 4 | Key Indicators for the US Pet Insurance Market, 2007 - 2022
- Table 5 | US Households Owning Dogs or Cats, 2007 - 2017 (mil)
- Table 6 | US Pet Population, 2007 - 2017
- Figure 3 | US Pet Insurance Revenue Share by Company, 2017 (%)
- Table 7 | Leading Providers to the US Pet Insurance Market
- Table 8 | Nationwide Mutual Insurance: Key Insurance Plans
- Table 9 | NAICS & SIC Codes Related to Pet Insurance