This report forecasts US online grocery retail sales and total grocery retail sales in US dollars for 2023-2027. To illustrate historical trends, online and total grocery retail sales are provided in annual series from 2017 to 2022. HIGHLIGHTSMARKET OVERVIEW
This report provides information about online retail sales of food and beverages to consumers in the following product categories: shelf-stable foods and beverages in cans, bottles, or other packaging (including alcoholic beverages); prepared meals; perishables such as fresh fruits and vegetables; dairy and egg products; meat, poultry, and seafood; bakery items; and frozen foods.
This report includes online sales of such items from: store-based grocers (e.g., Kroger, Safeway, ALDI); mass merchandisers (e.g., Walmart, Target) and warehouse clubs (e.g., Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's); online-based grocers (e.g., Amazon, Thrive Market, Hungryroot); brands that sell their own food products via their websites, direct-to-consumer; third-party pack-and-deliver companies that use their own workforce to purchase groceries at various stores and deliver them to customers (e.g., Instacart); and local co-ops and farmers' markets that arrange for subscriptions, single orders, and pickup or delivery digitally.
Online sales made via website or app – whether delivered to a customer via shipment or local delivery, picked up in-store, or received via curbside pickup – are all included.
Excluded from the scope of this report are: food and beverage products that consumers physically select in a store for purchase; items bought by mail, fax, or phone order; non-food items such as household cleaning products, pet food and toys, tobacco products, beauty products, kitchenware, and other similar products that tend to be sold by grocers and mass merchandisers; and revenue from restaurants and other foodservice entities such as cafeterias, bars, and caterers.
Other various topics, including profiles of pertinent leading companies, are covered in this report. A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.
Related NAICS Codes:
445110 Supermarkets and Other Grocery (except Convenience) Stores
454110 Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
492210 Local Messengers and Local Delivery
INDUSTRY STRUCTUREABOUT THIS REPORT
- Market Size
- Opportunities for Growth
- Key Consumer Trends
- Packaging Trends
LIST OF TABLES & FIGURES
- Industry Codes
- Figure 1 | Key Trends in US Total & Online Grocery Shopping Retail Sales, 2022 - 2027
- Figure 2 | US Online Grocery Shopping Retail Sales, 2017 - 2027 (US$ bil)
- Table 1 | US Total & Online Grocery Shopping Retail Sales, 2017 - 2027 (US$ bil)
- Figure 3 | US Online Grocery Shopping Market by Fulfillment Type, 2022 (%)
- Figure 4 | US Online Grocery Shopping Market by Retailer Category, 2022 (%)
- Figure 5 | US Online Grocery Shopping Market by Product Category, 2022 (%)
- Figure 6 | US Online Grocery Shopping Market Share by Company, 2022 (%)
- Table 2 | NAICS & SIC Codes Related to Online Grocery Shopping